The New Forum Has Arrived
I found the custom titles Smile thanks pete! I had poked around a little but didn't see it. Sometimes I'm just blind...
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(04-26-2010, 12:15 PM)Bolty Wrote:
LochnarITB Wrote:What is the status of the private messages? Were they all lost?

Yes. It was far too much to bring over. If you had some kind of important information stored in your PM's and you don't mind me seeing it, I can try to dig through the old database to pull it up. I didn't think this would be much of a loss, though.

LochnarITB Wrote:Maybe it is old eyes or an intense hatred of change, but I found the old skin much easier to read and I would be a happy camper if it stayed exactly the same skin on the new chassis.

The odd thing is that study after study concludes that it's harder to read light text on a dark background than dark text on a light background. I think it may just be that after so many years, you got so used to it, that this is a shock. I agree that a dark board fits the "Lurker" theme, though.

Nah, nothing of importance in the PMs, just my usual ranting about Tal to others.Wink It was just odd that the private messages link at the top initially showed me as having 42 but then switched to zero when I had been in there to check them.

The light dark thing surprises me. For me, a bright background on any site washes out the dark print if it isn't a bolded font. It does the same to dividing lines like those around quotes and such. Ah well, I can get used to anything.

One other odd thing I've noticed. The default thread subscription setting was "Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies" but I didn't notice it when I replied to this thread. After getting a few email notices, I found where to change the default. I also found where to cancel any thread/forum subscriptions. However, after canceling the subscription, it seems like I am still getting notifications. It may be that it actually came while I was canceling the subscription. If I see any more notifications I'll let you know to see if stuck subscriptions is a known issue.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(04-26-2010, 05:09 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: One other odd thing I've noticed. The default thread subscription setting was "Subscribe and receive email notification of new replies" but I didn't notice it when I replied to this thread. After getting a few email notices, I found where to change the default. I also found where to cancel any thread/forum subscriptions. However, after canceling the subscription, it seems like I am still getting notifications. It may be that it actually came while I was canceling the subscription. If I see any more notifications I'll let you know to see if stuck subscriptions is a known issue.

I had a similar problem but the notifications stopped when I adjusted my options.

It appears that you are automatically subscribed to a thread you reply to. Was this the case before? I never bothered with subscriptions, so it's quite possible that I just never noticed.
I didn't have any problems logging in using Chrome.
have you tried logging in from a thread that you are viewing as a guest, or from a subforum?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Something totally unrelated, but I wanted to test uploading attachments. You should now be able to upload attachments directly to the forum, making it much easier to post pictures and such. You should also be able to upload avatars.

I figured a good test of this feature would be a picture of me. Here goes!

Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(04-26-2010, 07:03 PM)shoju Wrote: have you tried logging in from a thread that you are viewing as a guest, or from a subforum?

Yes, I logged in from this thread. No issues.
(04-26-2010, 12:15 PM)Bolty Wrote:
LochnarITB Wrote:Maybe it is old eyes or an intense hatred of change, but I found the old skin much easier to read and I would be a happy camper if it stayed exactly the same skin on the new chassis.

The odd thing is that study after study concludes that it's harder to read light text on a dark background than dark text on a light background. I think it may just be that after so many years, you got so used to it, that this is a shock. I agree that a dark board fits the "Lurker" theme, though.

I find dark text on a light background easier to read than light text on a dark background. However this black on white is a bit too bright. I loved the theme of the old site, if only we could improve on the legibility a bit.

Oh, and thanks, Bolty, for everything!
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Bolty, I went through all the skins at the mybb site and here is a list of the ones I thought were acceptable. BTW, I really hate the WotLK one, but I just had to include it.

Nice I thought
Retains the Old Brown Feel ... Sorta
Still In the Brown Vein

I am working on logo ideas and will have some shortly, I hope. It's hard to do without a skin. DeeBye rocks at things like this, btw.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
Is there any way to enable themes for user accounts? Where we can theme what we see? I'm not basing this request on knowledge of such an option existing. Rather I was just thinking that some of us could likely build a theme, but that a way to test it would be helpful. Personalized themes would work for that.
(04-27-2010, 03:35 AM)swirly Wrote: Is there any way to enable themes for user accounts?
Multiple themes can be installed in the forum and, if I set it that way, users can select what theme they want to use. I expect I will do this. I'd like to at least have one "light theme" like this board default here to use in work environments. It's not as obvious you're surfing a gaming website when it looks all blue-and-white-y. Cool

If you want to test out a theme, I can grant access to you to play around with it by uploading it and then setting your own user account to use it. I need to know you're serious about it, though, before I grant that access.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(04-24-2010, 10:57 PM)Bolty Wrote: 3) Threading information was dropped, so all old posts show a singular threading. New posts will work, though.

Threaded view: Can you style the New Posts in a thread differently than the old posts? There's no easy way to tell just by looking at the link if you've read that particular post or not.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Hi, Smile

I love the colors of Our new forum it's "Perfect." Heart

It matches my IE8 Browser & Desktop color theme.
[Image: LL.jpg]

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Hey, Bolty! Thanks for the cleaner, faster forums. But could we have a darker background? White tends to be hard on the eyes.

I did a search for the keywords "darker background" and didn't see anything on this topic. If it's already been mentioned, then I'm sorry I wasted your time.

I LOVE how fast the forums are now!

-Loki
"How heroic. How compassionate. How selfless. I think I'm going to be sick."
-Skeletorr, the new HE-MAN
(04-27-2010, 09:46 PM)Quark Wrote:
(04-24-2010, 10:57 PM)Bolty Wrote: 3) Threading information was dropped, so all old posts show a singular threading. New posts will work, though.

Threaded view: Can you style the New Posts in a thread differently than the old posts? There's no easy way to tell just by looking at the link if you've read that particular post or not.

Hi, Quark. Would the view new posts feature work for that?
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
(04-28-2010, 05:57 AM)Lokishadow Wrote: Hey, Bolty! Thanks for the cleaner, faster forums. But could we have a darker background? White tends to be hard on the eyes.

I did a search for the keywords "darker background" and didn't see anything on this topic. If it's already been mentioned, then I'm sorry I wasted your time.

I LOVE how fast the forums are now!

-Loki

Bolty's thread

In the first post, Bolty asks for help skinning this and later posts have folks input and some premade skin suggestions.

Edit: Interesting. Just copying and pasting without url tags doubles the link. Weird.
Intolerant monkey.
(04-28-2010, 12:27 PM)Treesh Wrote: In the first post, Bolty asks for help skinning this and later posts have folks input and some premade skin suggestions.

Loki's post let me test the thread merging option - I merged his post and your reply into this thread! Yay!
(04-27-2010, 09:46 PM)Quark Wrote: Threaded view: Can you style the New Posts in a thread differently than the old posts? There's no easy way to tell just by looking at the link if you've read that particular post or not.

Let's say that I could do this - haven't seen if I can yet - what would you want to denote which ones are new? Italics, bolding, highlighting?
Can you check and see if there is an option to allow us to see who is active in the forum that we are in?

On the old forum, you could see who was in each forum, and who was in each thread, and if they were posting. From a Raid Leader perspective, it was really nice to know if one of the other raid leaders was posting in the general forum, that way I would know not to double up the post.
How can one tell it to stay logged in? I loged in two days ago to the new forum and when I came back today, I had to log in again and saw no place to tell it to "keep me loged in" or something lika that.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.