The New Forum Has Arrived
Hi,

(04-28-2010, 02:53 PM)Jarulf Wrote: How can one tell it to stay logged in? I loged in two days ago to the new forum and when I came back today, I had to log in again and saw no place to tell it to "keep me loged in" or something lika that.
The first time I logged on, I was logged off after closing the browser. Since my second log on, I've stayed logged each time I've returned. I didn't do anything special that I noticed. You might check if that's what happened to you.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(04-28-2010, 02:53 PM)Jarulf Wrote: How can one tell it to stay logged in? I loged in two days ago to the new forum and when I came back today, I had to log in again and saw no place to tell it to "keep me loged in" or something lika that.

Hi Jarulf,

This seems to be browser specific (I have this problem at work, but not at home). For me, I just click on the Lurker Lounge logo at the top and then it remembers I am logged in. But it is the first thing I have to do when I visit the page.
(04-28-2010, 01:27 PM)shoju Wrote: On the old forum, you could see who was in each forum, and who was in each thread, and if they were posting.

I have activated seeing who is browsing each forum. There doesn't seem to be an option to enable who is viewing a thread or who is posting in a thread.

BTW, we had our first spambot hit this morning, and ironically it was posted in this thread. Smile I will be installing some anti-spam plugins soon, and will also clean out the userbase this weekend. This forum software is dramatically better at stopping spam with their plugins, from what I can see.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Hi,

(04-28-2010, 01:23 PM)Bolty Wrote: Let's say that I could do this - haven't seen if I can yet - what would you want to denote which ones are new? Italics, bolding, highlighting?
I'd prefer bolding, but any of those would do. Or an indicator off to the side, if that's available.

And, thank you, Bolty. The more I see of this package, the better I like it (except for the smilies Big Grin ).

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(04-28-2010, 01:27 PM)shoju Wrote: On the old forum, you could see who was in each forum, and who was in each thread, and if they were posting.

To which one might wonder if there is a way to NOT show what one is doing here. I believe the old forums had an option to not show if you were logged in or not. Does it exists?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
(04-28-2010, 03:10 PM)Jarulf Wrote:

To which one might wonder if there is a way to NOT show what one is doing here. I believe the old forums had an option to not show if you were logged in or not. Does it exists?

I think so. Have you found the user control panel? At the top of the page, at the end of the welcome line, click "User CP". There is a link there to "Edit Options". The first option there is "Hide me from the Who's Online list."
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(04-28-2010, 03:29 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: I think so. Have you found the user control panel? At the top of the page, at the end of the welcome line, click "User CP". There is a link there to "Edit Options". The first option there is "Hide me from the Who's Online list."

Gee, I looked at that page several times without seeing the "edit options". Even after reading your post I stared at the page without finding it. Had to use the find "options" in the browser. Now I can't see how I could miss it. Sigh.

In addition, just below that, there is an option for it to remember me to stay logged in Smile
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
(04-28-2010, 03:04 PM)--Pete Wrote: The more I see of this package, the better I like it (except for the smilies Big Grin ).

You know, I can install more smilies (or change them) as I see fit. This software has a smilies-management area where I can define any smiley I want, set its shorthand code, and upload the image. Go find me some non-copyrighted ones that you like and I'll slap them in. You'd be amazed how many copyrighted smilies there are out there.

I like the new software a lot, too. There's a lot in the administration area that beats the tar off the old board. Lost some features, but gained much more...and of course I feel a lot more secure on an open-source platform that I can freely upgrade the moment a security issue is found.

Things I'm planning yet:
  1. Install anti-spam plugin that checks user registrations against databases of known spambots, updated continuously
  2. Set up a trash-can forum that all deleted posts get thrown into - so you all realize the mods are actually doing stuff
  3. Set up Diablo 3 forum (omg)
  4. Debate enabling reputation system - users could up- or down-rank people, not sure if this is something we want to do; could be useful if forum population rises; I risk having my reputation downranked to oblivion. Smile I think one of the advantages to the system is that you could configure it to auto-ignore anyone with a low reputation, but I haven't looked into it much.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I took the time to build a quick and dirty script for picking out what colors we want for the forum. It's not perfect or overly friendly, but gets the job done. I figure I can use it to see what looks good for if I want to tackle making the whole theme and others can post what they think would look good too. Maybe we can come to some kind of consensus (people agreeing on the lounge? Yeah...this isn't gonna happen!).

Obviously graphics will need remade or at least color shifted to match. (I'm actually hoping somebody else will step forward to do that, though I am capable if nobody else does.) I'm sure other pages will need some tweaks too. Should give an idea of where to go though.

Anyway, here it is with quick color choices I used while building it. Meaning likely not quite the ones I would end up choosing.

The Layout Design Thingie

Click "View Layout" to see what it looks like with the colors I have there.

Quick Instructions for editting
1: Change color codes
2: Click Submit
3: Click "View Layout" after page loads
4: Copy the "Link for sharing layout" and post it here.
(04-28-2010, 07:10 PM)swirly Wrote: Click "View Layout" to see what it looks like with the colors I have there.

Ooh, ooh, a perfect layout!Tongue

Actually, played around a bit but kept coming back to me liking the colors you've set up in your thingie best.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I will be playing with your layout colors. I like that.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(04-28-2010, 01:23 PM)Bolty Wrote:
(04-27-2010, 09:46 PM)Quark Wrote: Threaded view: Can you style the New Posts in a thread differently than the old posts? There's no easy way to tell just by looking at the link if you've read that particular post or not.

Let's say that I could do this - haven't seen if I can yet - what would you want to denote which ones are new? Italics, bolding, highlighting?

Same as Pete, Bold for new sounds nice. I'm not sure if the site distinguishes between new there and new everywhere else, though. This could have other consequences you decide aren't worth it.

From the global.css:

Code:
a:link {
    color: #026CB1;
    text-decoration: none;
}

a:visited {
    color: #026CB1;
    text-decoration: none;
}
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
An attempt at the old look

Edit a couple of graphics and possibly increase some of the border spacings and I think it will look pretty close. : )
(04-29-2010, 06:46 AM)swirly Wrote: An attempt at the old look

Edit a couple of graphics and possibly increase some of the border spacings and I think it will look pretty close. : )

That looks pretty sweet. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. Or something.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I have to say, that it is a very good look for those who want the old look. I agree, that I would like to keep a light version of the website (the way it is now works for me), but an old template like that is far better than anything than anything that I have been able to come up with.

Would it be possible to get a header graphic at the top in that layout? It would be pretty cool if we could get something that was WoW/Diablo/Lounge at the top again of the dark layout.

I will see what I can come up with this weekend. I have a lot of catching up to do right now at work.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(04-29-2010, 01:44 PM)shoju Wrote: Would it be possible to get a header graphic at the top in that layout? It would be pretty cool if we could get something that was WoW/Diablo/Lounge at the top again of the dark layout.

Well Bolty's first post says
Bolty Wrote:The default skin is in place except for the logo image.
which petty much says the logo image can be changed in a theme. All I've done so far is play with the css colors since I don't know specifically what the board gives you to edit for themes. I suppose I should go ahead and tell Bolty to give me access to editing a theme. He wanted to know if I am serious about working on it and it would seem I am since I did all of this. (I wasn't sure myself at first heh)

Shoju Wrote:I will see what I can come up with this weekend.

I'm not sure I have the motivation to build a new full logo like the old site. I'll fix the little images like some places where their are gradients instead of flat colors and the various buttons and such. So if you want to build a logo for it while I do that stuff, I'm quite quite willing to delegate that portion of the job to you. : ) Heck, if anybody else has a facet they are good at and want to help. I'm always willing to delegate work! : )

Bolty Wrote:If you want to test out a theme, I can grant access to you to play around with it by uploading it and then setting your own user account to use it. I need to know you're serious about it, though, before I grant that access.
I'm slightly unsure what this means. I have two scenarios in mind from this.

Scenario 1
You upload a theme and set my account to be able to use and edit that particular theme. Thus I can use the board's theme editing system to work on the theme.

Scenario 2
You upload a theme and set my account to using that theme. So thus I can see what it looks like. All the changes have to be done outside the board though and then sent to you to upload.

So which Scenario are you saying? I'm hoping the first cause that will be so much easier to work with. I'd just need you to copy the default theme so there is a second version of it and then let me use the forum controls to edit that version into the old look.

If it is Scenario 2, I probably still can work on it. I just have to find a theme to download and edit and work on it in a more offline fashion. A little more annoying, but still doable.

So clarify for me what you were saying you can do if I am serious about helping with a theme.
I tried to see if I could change the date format to a more usefull one. The default one seems to be the US variant. There was a whole bunch of date formats but none with the year first (which is the ISO format by the way). Wonder why one makes boards like this, hopefully to be used thorugh out the world and more importnalty BY people from all over the world, yet not have all common date formats. Anyone know a way to get it in that way? (YEAR-Month-Day)
(05-01-2010, 07:04 AM)Jarulf Wrote: I tried to see if I could change the date format to a more usefull one. The default one seems to be the US variant. There was a whole bunch of date formats but none with the year first (which is the ISO format by the way). Wonder why one makes boards like this, hopefully to be used thorugh out the world and more importnalty BY people from all over the world, yet not have all common date formats. Anyone know a way to get it in that way? (YEAR-Month-Day)

Also, is there any way to have the post date at the beginning of a post instead of the bottom?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(05-01-2010, 01:36 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Also, is there any way to have the post date at the beginning of a post instead of the bottom?

It's on the top for me, not bottom. Strange.
Intolerant monkey.
(05-01-2010, 03:18 PM)Treesh Wrote:
(05-01-2010, 01:36 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Also, is there any way to have the post date at the beginning of a post instead of the bottom?

It's on the top for me, not bottom. Strange.

Now mine is too. There is an option labeled "Display posts in classic mode." When I unchecked it, it moved the date and poster avatar above the post text instead of in a column alongside it with the date at the bottom. Cool beans.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."