I got an honorable mention at GameFront for bashing Blizzard fanboys
(05-22-2012, 08:19 PM)shoju Wrote: I try to keep myself out of the more "prickly" topics as time passes.
I've never stuffed a porcupine, nor have I had any interest in doing so. So it is as well, with posting up here. :-)

But... I understand and respect your position. Sometimes you're just not up for a muzzle full of thorns.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I'm an outspoken, and opinionated person. Anyone who has played on Terenas with me can attest to that. I know that if I get into a heated debate, I am "that guy" who turns into a problem. I'm reminded of my big what to do with Pete a year or so ago in the WoW-terenas forums. I could have, and probably should have let his comment lay, and not let it get under my skin, but it did. It made me mad.

It was the last time I had an interaction with him on the boards. Since then, I've decided that I'm just not going to bother getting myself worked up, and try to avoid the topics as best I can that have a chance of boiling my blood.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(05-22-2012, 08:30 PM)shoju Wrote: It made me mad.
Been there, done that. Smile However, I will say that this is a place where you can passionately express your opinion, and you may (and will probably) be asked to defend that opinion. You put it out there for others to poke at, and openly agree or disagree. As witnessed here, there are necessary limits of tolerance when the discussion and flames get personal and warnings go unheeded. I probably have a vastly different point of view than many here on many topics, but that doesn't diminish my respect for them as individuals. Some people may be off-put by my opinions, but then again, I don't feel I need to be liked by everyone. It's one person (or many IDK), on one forum. I enjoy the camaraderie of the fair minded verbal repartee nevertheless.

I find that even with vastly different perspectives we can often reach even a partial agreement, although perhaps for different reasons. The compromise of (this) society is that we can still get together, and most importantly enjoy playing these games with each other. A refreshing diversion from our increasingly polarized real world.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

I'm not really sure why I stopped coming here, I miss you people. And to be honest this troll at least gave me a few laughs. Actually the use of the word neckbeard - which i find baffling and somewhat offensive without actually bothering to look up what it means - reminds me of another troll who was all style and no substance that was attacking a few of my favorite authors recently. She is at http://requireshate.wordpress.com/ though I don't recommend visiting her site unless you find some way to get her together with our banned troll here.

ShadowHM let me know if I'm wrong but the LL has always kind of reminded me of the Basin's Politics Religion and Stuff like that forum. You can say what you what, but if you're going to stick your neck out there you damn well better be able and willing to defend yourself else you're going to get picked to piece. Forum pvp could be a good way to describe it at times.

Anyway, this here is a good place, and I miss you folks. I'll try and drop by a bit more.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Hi there! Long time no see and if I don't see you in D3 then maybe Borderlands 2?

(05-23-2012, 02:01 AM)VinnieJones Wrote: ShadowHM let me know if I'm wrong but the LL has always kind of reminded me of the Basin's Politics Religion and Stuff like that forum. You can say what you what, but if you're going to stick your neck out there you damn well better be able and willing to defend yourself else you're going to get picked to piece. Forum pvp could be a good way to describe it at times.

This forum relies more on the regulars for moderating than the PR&slt does.

But you are right: in both places, if you choose to make a point, you had best be willing to defend it with facts. Wink
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

It has been a long time. I'll be around in D3 though, just need to bed myself into the game a bit and get used to playing it. Also, I'm definitely stoked for Borderlands 2. The new teaser was hilarious.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
(05-22-2012, 02:24 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: This thread was a very cool tale, my brethren

Meanwhile, at OP's house.

[Image: cool-story-bro_o_206170.jpg]
(05-24-2012, 07:24 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote:
(05-22-2012, 02:24 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: This thread was a very cool tale, my brethren

Meanwhile, at OP's house.

[Image: cool-story-bro_o_206170.jpg]

Perhaps this thread has set a record for being the longest thread which survives the banning of the OP. For that he gets an honorable mention and should be proud!
(05-24-2012, 05:59 PM)Thenryb Wrote: Perhaps this thread has set a record for being the longest thread which survives the banning of the OP. For that he gets an honorable mention and should be proud!

Well I'd personally only go as far as giving OP a checkmark. Checkmark with one "+" at most. Mostly for somewhat of an effort. Somewhat.

I mean I'm not really feeling the D3 love either, but that's due to factors such as me not liking the way the company is going, D3 SP online only etc. And also (ALERT ALERT COOL STORY MODE DETECTED ALERT ALERT) maybe I just don't have that much time anymore.

Looking back at some of my D1\D2 chars, I can't believe I did that much grinding for some of them. Though my best memory and experience is playing with people such as yourself and other 'variant scums'™.

Not to mention I got other things and hobbies that are screaming for attention. I resigned my current job to pursue my career, or at least give it a serious kick start (OMG DANGER DANGER COOL STORY DEFINITELY DETECTED ON RADAR RED ALERT RED ALERT).

Oh speaking of time, I am bitten by the collecting bug recently. Specifically old school mechanical wrist watches. Nothing too expensive, mostly Japanese and some odd Russian time pieces are taking up my time and dollars. (AAAAAH SOS SOS SOS COOL STORY ALERT THIS IS NOT A DRILL CALLING FOR ALL BROS) I am following the ETA Swiss story with some interest, because I think this is a great opportunity for other nations and makers such as the Chinese to fill the void. A void that ETA Swiss IMO, created themselves.

I mean there's exclusivity, and then there's just being too greedy and stupid thinking you will have a permanent monopoly on something. (SOS SOS SOS CALLING ALL BROS IN THE VICINITY PLEASE RENDER AID COOL STORY IS UPON US THIS IS NOT A DRILL MAYDAY MAYDAY)

Also, I am just loving the current summer movies line up. Ok maybe not all of them, but I'm definitely hyped for Batman 3. And I might even see 'Battleship' just for the giggles alone. Hell I already saw the mockbuster version of it with Mario Van Peebles -and- Carl Weathers. Link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Battleship

(MAYDAY MAYDAY REPEAT WE'RE LOSING INTEREST FAST REPEAT SOS SOS MAYDAY ANY AND ALL BROS PLEASE HELP US)

Anyway what was I saying, oh yes it's those dem liberals it's always their fault!

(WE ARE LOSING A LOT OF INTEREST AND FAST SOS SOS OH GOD NO NO NO NO COOL STORY IS TOO COOL...PLEASE TELL MY WIFE AND KIDS I LOVE THem...-bzzt- -brrzzt- static garble....radio silence)

ps. On a more serious note.
/waves to Thenryb and hopes everything is well on his corner of the world. Big Grin
(05-24-2012, 10:54 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: I mean I'm not really feeling the D3 love either, but that's due to factors such as me not liking the way the company is going, D3 SP online only etc. And also (ALERT ALERT COOL STORY MODE DETECTED ALERT ALERT) maybe I just don't have that much time anymore.

Well, unlike the OP, you could articulate your own reasons, rather than just copy/pasting something from a forum, or just linking someone else's thread. Big Grin

I think that's what most of us objected to the most.

D3 hate? Fine. Copy/pasted generic D3/Blizzard-bashing we've seen 100 times already? Not so much.
--Mav
I think what has me reserved towards D3 (besides waiting on the copy I bought from a friend to arrive) is that I'm a WoW guy. Looking at the ingame controls, and its going to take me a LONG time to get used to the mouse thing.

A long time ago, (not really, like 3 or 4 years ago) Frag turned me into a total mouse driver (from a partial mouse driver), and it's hard for me to give up the love I have for being able to control my camera and movement based on mouse buttons.

I guess I should probably go play a weekend of Quake to get the hang of that type of mouse style again. Sad
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(05-24-2012, 11:16 PM)shoju Wrote: I think what has me reserved towards D3 (besides waiting on the copy I bought from a friend to arrive) is that I'm a WoW guy. Looking at the ingame controls, and its going to take me a LONG time to get used to the mouse thing.

A long time ago, (not really, like 3 or 4 years ago) Frag turned me into a total mouse driver (from a partial mouse driver), and it's hard for me to give up the love I have for being able to control my camera and movement based on mouse buttons.

I guess I should probably go play a weekend of Quake to get the hang of that type of mouse style again. Sad

That I can see. A bunch of us have no issue with the D3 camera, because we played D1/D2 for years, but I can see where it would mess someone up who wasn't used to it.
--Mav
(05-24-2012, 10:54 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Oh speaking of time, I am bitten by the collecting bug recently. Specifically old school mechanical wrist watches. Nothing too expensive, mostly Japanese and some odd Russian time pieces are taking up my time and dollars. (AAAAAH SOS SOS SOS COOL STORY ALERT THIS IS NOT A DRILL CALLING FOR ALL BROS) I am following the ETA Swiss story with some interest, because I think this is a great opportunity for other nations and makers such as the Chinese to fill the void. A void that ETA Swiss IMO, created themselves.

Interesting, I also on and off have this as a hobby. Sadly it is a bit too expensive to really get into it, but I have a few zeniths from end 60's befginning 70's and love my normal watch (a divers Oris I bought in 1994).
It is a big hobby for many people so chances of finding cool stuff for cheap are very small, but still.

By the way, what is happening with ETA?

O and I didn't buy D3 yet....I want to, eventhough my computer is probably too old, and I don't want to spend all the money for just playing the game. I also came in pretty late with D2 and played mostly single player or via lan with a few friends.
(05-24-2012, 11:16 PM)shoju Wrote: A long time ago, (not really, like 3 or 4 years ago) Frag turned me into a total mouse driver (from a partial mouse driver), and it's hard for me to give up the love I have for being able to control my camera and movement based on mouse buttons.
This was the biggest disappointment for me. Reverting back to psuedo 3D (3D orthographic projection) is a big step back to olde timey games for me. What would have been *really* cool was a D3 game with a *real* 3D movable camera. But, if you give a mouse a cookie... then, you'd need to have customizable faces, skin tones, hair....

I'd have to give this thread an award for "Top thread of 2012 with the most number of off topics due the the original topic being lame."

(05-25-2012, 07:00 AM)eppie Wrote: Interesting, I also on and off have this as a hobby. Sadly it is a bit too expensive to really get into it, but I have a few zeniths from end 60's befginning 70's and love my normal watch (a divers Oris I bought in 1994).

Nice, I'm a dive watch fan as well. Bonus points if it is a hybrid military\pilot-diver. Something that looks like this:

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/56-2811.html

The blue dial one is nice, but the -black dial- one. She's spectacular IMO. It's solar quartz and not mechanical, but she's gorgeous in my eyes. Too bad it's a Japan Release only model, with the price to match. Though still not too bad comparatively, it's not exactly peanuts. And no I don't have that watch. Though it's definitely on my 'sooo want' list.

I'd be interested if you have pics (not necessarily your own due to privacy\safety issue of course) or a model# of that Oris diver. The Zeniths as well. 60's-70's vintage models usually have nice stylings to them. I love the tonneau\cushion case divers of that era for example.

Quote:It is a big hobby for many people so chances of finding cool stuff for cheap are very small, but still.

If you're buying quality vintage, yes I agree for the most part. However, thanks to the innernetz, I say it's a great time to be a bargain hunter. And I'm not even talking about vintage hunting.

For mechanicals, new even, I say it's hard to beat the Japanese and Russian watches in the bang to buck ratio. The cheapest mechanical you can get that I know of starts with the Russians. Vostok 'Komandirskie' in particular. Those starts at about 30-40 dollars approx. Let's throw in 20 dollars for shipping, and that still works out to about 50$. (At the time of this writing etc etc.)

The next step up is the Vostok 'Amphibia' classics line. Those starts at around 60-80 dollars, throw in s&h, that can still work out to around 100 dollars. That's still pretty good IMO for what you're getting. A 200m water resistant mechanical watch.

Though at this price range the Japanese watches starts to become available as well. Basic Seiko 5's can start at around 80 dollars, though sometimes there are sales that makes them available at 50$. (The only thing to watch out for is counterfeits. And the Seiko5 water resistance is usually less than 200 unless specified, and those are usually more expensive.)

Another one is Orient. Orient 'Mako' specifically. At the 100-150$ mark the Orient is AFAIK, the only other contender besides the Vostoks for a 200m water resistant mechanical watch. Considering that a Casio G-Shock goes for 99$ (reg. non sale price,before taxes.) at my local Walmart, this is still IMO a good bargain.

At the 200-250$ range, I personally think this is the sweet spot of getting the most value for your buck. Some of the Seiko divers are at this range, innernetz price at least. Screw the MSRP.

So while I personally lust after some fine mechanical German and Swiss timepieces, for my own money it's the Japanese and Russians.

Quote:By the way, what is happening with ETA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA

Under the 'monopoly allegations and investigations'.

Now I was exaggerating slightly for attempted comedy before, with the ETA created the void themselves comment. On a serious-face note, there is no clear cut good guy vs bad guy here IMO.

Quote: ETA argued that it was overwhelmed with orders and that its ébauches were sometimes ending up in counterfeit watches.[13] ETA also warned that there could be another crisis in Swiss watch making unless there was more innovation and investment. Nicolas Hayek, then the CEO of Swatch, the parent of ETA observed,

"there was no innovation, no new development, and when I pushed them to start doing new production, everybody started shouting... I said I was not going to deliver any more of my movements unless they try to do their own production... Otherwise the Swiss watch industry will suffer exactly the same problems it had before and it will go down."

While I understand some of the sentiment, I think it could backfire on ETA. Then again I also think this could be an opportunity.

While I'm no watchmaker, from what little I know the basics of a mechanical watch is probably done and mastered. Advancement and innovation usually comes in the form of new material tech, and things like automated production.

The image of a village of magical swiss gnomes hand assembling and repairing a small part with a loupe under the supervision of an old wizened master watchmaker (picture a 3way lovechild between Gandolf, Yoda, and Geppeto) is mostly just that nowadays. An image.

Most modern mechanicals do not see a direct human hand in it's assembly. Most repair nowadays consist of replacing the whole movement. Considering some movement can be bought for less than the price of an overhaul, this is just the way things are currently, for better or worse.

/hears someone say 'coolest story ever'
/hears someone calling me a 'bro'
/hears someone say 'tell it again!'
/Proudface on

Quote:O and I didn't buy D3 yet....I want to, eventhough my computer is probably too old, and I don't want to spend all the money for just playing the game. I also came in pretty late with D2 and played mostly single player or via lan with a few friends.

The basic gameplay of D3 looks interesting to me, but I already mention my reasons for not feeling the love for the product.

Torchlight 2 looks like an interesting alternative for me at least.
http://www.vetroplastica.it/annuncio-ven...-3277.html

this is the oris. It used to have a blue shark-leather wrist strap which looked great but when it broke I went for an original metal bracelet, which first they said wasn't for sale anymore, but finally I got one.
It by the way is a much smaller watch then what currently is in fashion, but it fits my wrist pretty good.

I couldn't find images for the zeniths. But they were from a time when the brand wasn't as exclusive as it is now (with cheapest models starting at around 3000 dollars I think). One is mechanical self winding, and the other is manual winding. I sometimes wear them when I wear a suit, because they are a bit more adapted for that.
(05-26-2012, 07:51 AM)eppie Wrote: http://www.vetroplastica.it/annuncio-ven...-3277.html

this is the oris. It used to have a blue shark-leather wrist strap which looked great but when it broke I went for an original metal bracelet, which first they said wasn't for sale anymore, but finally I got one.

That is an awesome piece, love that numbered chapter ring on the inside.

Quote:It by the way is a much smaller watch then what currently is in fashion, but it fits my wrist pretty good.

Some of my dive watch is in the 42-44mm range, but I like bold styling as long as it's clean. Having said that, I know what you mean by the current fashion trend. There's a fine line between big and bold and just plain crass IMO. Browsing my local jewelry\watch shops, I've seen some 50mm+ sized watches. And they look clownish to me.

Funny how by current standard, my '70s vintage men's seiko sporty dress watch is considered a mid-size watch.

Quote:I couldn't find images for the zeniths. But they were from a time when the brand wasn't as exclusive as it is now (with cheapest models starting at around 3000 dollars I think). One is mechanical self winding, and the other is manual winding. I sometimes wear them when I wear a suit, because they are a bit more adapted for that.

You raise an interesting observation here. Is it the location, generation, a combination of both and other factors maybe. But do people even notice what type of watch you're wearing in your part of the world?

Here in N. America, from what I've seen at least not many people do.
I do because I happen to like watches. But in general most people nowadays seem to check the time with their cellphones. (The pocket watch returns in the form of a cellphone I guess.)
Troll thread morphed into serious discussion about watches? Only at the Lurker Lounge! Smile
(05-26-2012, 04:54 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Here in N. America, from what I've seen at least not many people do.
I do because I happen to like watches. But in general most people nowadays seem to check the time with their cellphones. (The pocket watch returns in the form of a cellphone I guess.)

I've switched from cellphone to pocket watch. I'm not planning on getting big into watches. I just happened to find a manual-wind one that I really liked at a reasonable price. It has a lion on it. Rawr. I need waistcoats now.

Prior to this purchase I was gifted a wristwatch (Invicta brand) but it seems to be exceptionally large on my wrist. I find it makes my wrist sweat.

-Lemming
(05-26-2012, 10:48 PM)LemmingofGlory Wrote:
(05-26-2012, 04:54 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Here in N. America, from what I've seen at least not many people do.

I've switched from cellphone to pocket watch. I'm not planning on getting big into watches. I just happened to find a manual-wind one that I really liked at a reasonable price. It has a lion on it. Rawr. I need waistcoats now.

Prior to this purchase I was gifted a wristwatch (Invicta brand) but it seems to be exceptionally large on my wrist. I find it makes my wrist sweat.

-Lemming

I can't wear watches (or even most jewelry) without getting a reaction so I used to wear pocket watches, usually by a clip attached to belt loops. The drawback to that was I would usually end up breaking the watches by having things hit them at work. When I finally got a cellphone, that's the only reason why I keep it on me at all times; I need a time keeping device of some kind and this is the only one I've had that's lasted for however many years now. I dread when my cheapy $10 phone kicks the bucket. I doubt any other phone I get to replace it will hold up half as well.
Intolerant monkey.