Am I the oldest one here?
Munkay,Mar 11 2005, 01:15 PM Wrote:What about this one? Here

Cheers :) ,

Munk
[right][snapback]70367[/snapback][/right]

Yep, that's the one. I'm pretty sure that's the last update, too. Though I would have added those folks who requested to be added, or changed the format to show their birthdate, as that's when I did it.

Wow...2001...so much has happened since then, but a good chunk of us are still around...
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Occhidiangela,Mar 11 2005, 10:30 AM Wrote:Nope.  King Jim is 60ish, and Pete is 59.  Not sure about LavCat . . .  I feel like such a young spring chicken at 45!  :D

Occhi

PS:  Bun Bun is also an Austinite.  :D
[right][snapback]70333[/snapback][/right]

Yep, been in Austin for <gasp> 25 years now. And I'm 44, so that would make me over 50% native, right? :)
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Bun-Bun,Mar 11 2005, 10: Wrote:Yep, been in Austin for <gasp> 25 years now. And I'm 44, so that would make me over 50% native, right? :)
[right][snapback]70386[/snapback][/right]

Once a foreigner, always a foreigner! :shuriken:
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
In total and complete honestly, I no longer have any idea how old I actually am. For a good long while there, it was decided by a couple of folk that I was officially born in 1952.

Getting in touch with my mother, she claims to have no idea. May have been 1950. Ish. I never really celebrated my birthday as a child. So most of the time I really didn't know how old I was. When I went into state custody, I was determined to be 9 to 10 years of age. With a question mark. I was short and stunted, and suffered from severe malnutrition as a child, and I was very very short for whatever age I was. You get this way when you survive on picking meals out of the garbage, eating other people's tablecraps, and smoking. Smoking made the hunger go away. And it was easy to get smokes.

I have no birth certificate.

Recently though, after much searching, I have contacted a relative, and she claims that I was born about 1945ish. Maybe 1947-48, about the same time as her brother.

So it seems there may be a five year or so give or take on my actual age. Whatever that may be.

As for modern appliances, I grew up in the deepest, darkest, most backwards parts of the South. I lived in places, towns, whole towns, that did not have electricity or phones. I have lived in a swamp out in the middle of nowhere. I have lived on the side of a mountain with moonshiners. I lived in dingy dirty poverty. My mother was, in simple terms, a dime a dance whore. So I grew up in honky tonks and road houses, where ever she could find work. Texas, Loosy Anna, Missy Hippy, Bama, where ever. When I was very young, I mean very very young, I can remember folk that still used horse and buggy on a regular basis and the automobile was something that only the very rich had. Televisions, the wonder that they were, in the big city, sitting in the shop windows, had screens about 3 or 5 inches wide. And sorta round. In the South, indoor plumbing was still a marvel out of most folks reach. I can remember pumping water from a pump at the kitchen sink. Having a pump inside your house was "indoor" plumbing. I can remember, as I child, the first time ever seeing a toilet. It scared me to death it did. Made a scary whooooosh gargling sound, and I wasn't about to sit on the damn thing. I vaguely remember wishing that there was a nice quiet outhouse around... And there wasn't. Being suddenly thrust into modern living was quite a shock to me as a child. Sounds funny I know, perhaps even silly or something to poke fun of, but I remember it being bloody depressing. Living in the city was nearly scared me to death... NOISE all around. Honking of cars. Bright blinking lights on all the gosh damned night. The smell of car exhaust. Buses in particular scared the whimpering snot out of me. The roar of the motor and the whoosh of the brakes. I can remember seeing a movie for the very first time... I can't remember what it was, but I sat there in total awe. Now, I barely give it a second thought. Ho hum, no big deal.

I remember other things too. Like not being able to go in the front door. Having to sit in a different spot on the bus as a child. Not being able to drink from most water fountains, or use most of the restrooms. Not being able to eat at the lunch counter or shop at Woolworth's. Having to learn in a different classroom or attend a different school, or sit in the very back of the class. I remember being physically picked up, hauled outside, and thrown into a lamp post because I went into the wrong barber shop to get my hair cut. I didn't know any better at that time, and I learned a very very hard lesson. I had been given a handful of change and told to get a hair cut while some relative of mine, an Aunt I think, was taking care of errands in the general store. I am old enough to remember when "whites only" meant just that... While I am not black, I am no where near white enough to be allowed anywhere near they had signs like that around.

**Sigh**

After typing all that out and thinking about it, I suddenly feel a whole lot older.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 11 2005, 03:02 PM Wrote:In total and complete honestly, I no longer have any idea how old I actually am.
**Sigh**

After typing all that out and thinking about it, I suddenly feel a whole lot older.
[right][snapback]70399[/snapback][/right]

Point 1: I'd call that a blessing, not a curse. :D It ain't the age, it's the mileage anyway!

Point 2: You may feel older, but you don't sound any older.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Keep yer chin up Doc. The world is better place with you in it. Every person that has lived through experiences such as yours and told someone about it brings us one step closer to never repeating it.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
I remember
Carrying around a slide rule for physics class.
The best music was on AM radio.
Having a large collection of 45 RPM records.
My mom's records were 78 RPM.
Color television did not exist.
They showed double features at the movies--all the time.
A candy bar costed 5 cents.
A slice of pizza costed as little as 15 cents, except at Johnny's Pizzeria where you could buy a square slice for a dime.
Big fins on cars were cool.
I Like Ike.
They had a computer on the Art Linkletter show which was huge--the size of an entire wall.
Playing Pong in black and white at an arcade.
Not becoming a computer programmer because I hated punch cards.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Alram,Mar 11 2005, 07:55 PM Wrote:Not becoming a computer programmer because I hated punch cards.
[right][snapback]70446[/snapback][/right]

Aye. While I am not as old as you, punch chards were a motivation to avoid early computers like the plague. I was a noob, I learned simple programming in BASIC. But you had to turn in your flow chart to the teacher first, or she would not let you get on the precious phone / data line to the big mainframe that our high school time shared on.

Teletype machines as computer keyboards. Long spools of yellow TT paper, and me and my green felt pen trying to connect all the subroutines and figure out what was pointing to the wrong place.

Before everyone called small programs scripts. Before the Apple and the Charlie Chaplin commercials for personal PC's.

Before everyone who worked in an office became a clerk, but they fired all the secretaries and removed their positions since the PC now made everyone a secretary.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
An even more pressing question is: am I the youngest here? I am currently 15, and I joined the Lounge when I was 12. :blush:

/edit: Well, so far, I am. Go me. <_<
Alram,Mar 11 2005, 08:55 PM Wrote:I remember
Carrying around a slide rule for physics class.
The best music was on AM radio.
Having a large collection of 45 RPM records.
My mom's records were 78 RPM.
Color television did not exist.
They showed double features at the movies--all the time.
A candy bar costed 5 cents.
A slice of pizza costed as little as 15 cents, except at Johnny's Pizzeria where you could buy a square slice for a dime.
Big fins on cars were cool.
I Like Ike.
They had a computer on the Art Linkletter show which was huge--the size of an entire wall.
Playing Pong in black and white at an arcade.
Not becoming a computer programmer because I hated punch cards.
[right][snapback]70446[/snapback][/right]

Additional reminiscences:

Getting fillings from a dentist who didn't have high speed drills, and who didn't pre-freeze your gums before shoving that needle in.

The excitement of getting that first television and having two channels to choose from - English or French. And televisions were built like furniture - huge wood structures around them.

Girls had to wear skirts or dresses to school - and did they ever bunch up awkwardly under a snow suit. <_<

Cod liver oil - in the bottle (adminstered by the tablespoonful), then in capsules, and then, finally, halibut liver oil in tiny capsules was available.

Dief (The Chief) and the way his jowels always shook when he gave an impassioned speech.

Automatic line-ups in school for polio vaccinations.

And, I hear you on that punch card issue. Drop the stack and if you didn't get them back into exactly the right order - nothing would happen.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Mar 11 2005, 12:41 PM Wrote:Lavcat, I think, is older than I am.&nbsp; I snagged the 'Old Battle Axe'&nbsp; title anyway.&nbsp; :P

And Doc claims to be an old man, but he has been coy about producing an actual number.&nbsp; ;)
[right][snapback]70340[/snapback][/right]

Yes, 56.

And I don't remember much of anything. Except that you are supposed to have sequence numbers on your punch cards.

"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
LavCat,Mar 13 2005, 09:04 PM Wrote:Yes, 56.

And I don't remember much of anything.&nbsp; [right][snapback]70649[/snapback][/right]

Lucky you, you'll be able to hide your own easter eggs. :D

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I'm 28. It's funny because people usually have a hard time guessing my age online... mostly because I lurk a lot and am the "quiet although friendly" type when gaming ^_^
Obi2Kenobi,Mar 12 2005, 09:27 PM Wrote:An even more pressing question is: am I the youngest here? I am currently 15, and I joined the Lounge when I was 12. :blush:

[right][snapback]70515[/snapback][/right]

Thou shan't worry young 'un, once I was the youngest around here, that was around... dear lord, around 2 months after Diablo 2 was released! How much is it? 5 years now? Aieeeeee!!
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
Obi2Kenobi,Mar 12 2005, 02:27 PM Wrote:An even more pressing question is: am I the youngest here? I am currently 15, and I joined the Lounge when I was 12. :blush:

[right][snapback]70515[/snapback][/right]

I think when I started posting at the DSF I was 15. Looking back at the list posted above, I was one of the young ones then (but not youngest). Since that was seven years ago (wow), I guess you got me beat :P

/two months till out of College.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Occhidiangela,Mar 14 2005, 11:52 AM Wrote:Lucky you, you'll be able to hide your own easter eggs.&nbsp; :D

Occhi
[right][snapback]70701[/snapback][/right]

It's not that funny when you find an easter egg hidden on a windowsill the following Christmas. We use(d) real eggs in my family.

Baajikiil,Mar 14 2005, 01:31 PM Wrote:It's not that funny when you find an easter egg hidden on a windowsill the following Christmas.&nbsp; We use(d) real eggs in my family.
[right][snapback]70714[/snapback][/right]
We hid easter baskets rather than eggs. One year my sister and I decided to make and hide baskets for our parents since they didn't get the fun of looking for them and we did. We hid one of the plastic baskets in the oven. Mom started baking before we were even awake. Thankfully, they noticed the weird smell before the oven was too preheated so there wasn't any damage done to anything but the chocolate. We never hid a basket in the oven again (although we did continue to hide baskets for them), mom started checking the oven every time she wanted to use it, and I picked up the same habit. :D
Intolerant monkey.
Alram,Mar 11 2005, 10:25 AM Wrote:Last night NightSilver (NSD's roommate) and my toon, Loquita were partied together.&nbsp; We discovered that we live in the same city, Austin, Texas.&nbsp; He told me that he was 19.&nbsp; I told him that I'm 56.&nbsp; I wonder -- am I the oldest one in the Lurker Lounge?
[right][snapback]70330[/snapback][/right]

Hi,

63 yrs Young Gamer :D

ps: I'm old enough to be Thenrys older brother :P

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
King Jim,Apr 27 2005, 12:20 AM Wrote:Hi,

63 yrs Young  Gamer :D

ps: I'm old enough to be Thenrys older brother  :P
[right][snapback]75358[/snapback][/right]

So far, I think that means you own the rights to the "silver gamer" title. Or maybe the "Silver Lurker." I think adding Silver Lurker under you avatar would be sweet.

And it aint the age, Jim, it's the mileage. :D

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 27 2005, 09:29 AM Wrote:So far, I think that means you own the rights to the "silver gamer" title.&nbsp; Or maybe the "Silver Lurker."&nbsp; I think adding Silver Lurker under you avatar would be sweet.

And it aint the age, Jim, it's the mileage.&nbsp; :D

Occhi
[right][snapback]75380[/snapback][/right]

Silver Lurker is a type of Bass fishing lure.

Just thought everybody should know.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."