What is the worst feeling ever?
ShadowHM,Mar 10 2005, 10:43 PM Wrote:But few of us are really without a suitable friend to play coach, should the father be unavailable.)

You mean when the male party is lying uncounscious on the floor because the macho man passed out at the beginning of the real "legwork"? :P

Hehe, I know not everyone passes out like that it's just a very humorous generalization.
[Image: 104024yQmrG.png][Image: 201194cOrXg.png]
Alrin,Mar 10 2005, 08:03 PM Wrote:Hehe, I know not everyone passes out like that it's just a very humorous generalization.
[right][snapback]70270[/snapback][/right]

I didn't pass out, but I did get hungry so I went to the cafeteria to get an order of fries and gravy. Mrs. DeeBye was NOT amused :angry:

The fries and gravy were delicicious :)
ShadowHM,Mar 10 2005, 03:43 PM Wrote:Your salutes and envy should spring from another reason than the mere exertion of birthing a baby.  After all, the really hard job - that of raising them to adulthood - has only just begun.  Just ask any of the many other parents in this forum.  B)
[right][snapback]70260[/snapback][/right]
I probably should have said more. While the salute was, in part, to the exertion of child birth but the envy was not. More so, the salute was to the fortitude necessary to raise the child. The envy was for both the 9 months (40 weeks?) leading up to the birth, morning sickness, cravings and all, as well as the connection that the mother has to the child. Certainly, some mothers never do feel that connection and some very involved fathers can come close, but I don't think men can truly come to feel what most mothers do.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Mar 10 2005, 07:55 PM Wrote:I probably should have said more.  While the salute was, in part, to the exertion of child birth but the envy was not.  More so, the salute was to the fortitude necessary to raise the child.  The envy was for both the 9 months (40 weeks?) leading up to the birth, morning sickness, cravings and all, as well as the connection that the mother has to the child.  Certainly, some mothers never do feel that connection and some very involved fathers can come close, but I don't think men can truly come to feel what most mothers do.
[right][snapback]70275[/snapback][/right]

Quiet you... Say nothing till you give birth to a kidney stone! :P
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,Mar 10 2005, 07:38 AM Wrote:...

Got too queasy.
[right][snapback]70220[/snapback][/right]

Doc Wins! I've come to believe that anything that makes Doc queasy, would send us normal mortals into a catatonic shock of horror.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Waking up and realizing that you've slept on your arm for so long that it's not only "asleep", but completely numb. In that brief period before I'm awake, every time I think I've lost my hand during that 2 seconds or so before feeling returns. :blush:

Trying to think along the lines of "what's worse than childbirth", I'd have to say that hearing your child cry, and knowing that it's very important that you *not* give in to what they want, has got to be way up there on the list for me.
Griselda,Mar 11 2005, 02:14 AM Wrote:Waking up and realizing that you've slept on your arm for so long that it's not only "asleep", but completely numb.  In that brief period before I'm awake, every time I think I've lost my hand during that 2 seconds or so before feeling returns. :blush: [right][snapback]70305[/snapback][/right]

Or when that happens to your legs. Jumping out of bed half-asleep only to fall flat on my face because both my legs were asleep, and then apparently dozing off for another 5 minutes or so before coming fully awake was one of the most jarring experiences of my life.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Griselda,Mar 11 2005, 01:14 AM Wrote:Waking up and realizing that you've slept on your arm for so long that it's not only "asleep", but completely numb.  In that brief period before I'm awake, every time I think I've lost my hand during that 2 seconds or so before feeling returns. :blush:
[right][snapback]70305[/snapback][/right]
I've had that happen. My hand ended up on my face and since I couldn't feel my hand and arm, I tried to move my hand and arm to brush away whatever was on my face. Ended up slapping myself rather hard. :rolleyes:
Intolerant monkey.
Alrin,Mar 10 2005, 07:03 PM Wrote:You mean when the male party is lying uncounscious on the floor because the macho man passed out at the beginning of the real "legwork"? :P

Hehe, I know not everyone passes out like that it's just a very humorous generalization.
[right][snapback]70270[/snapback][/right]

I have the suspicion that the stereotype of the father that passes out at the sight of his labouring wife is due to much exaggeration. :rolleyes:

I was actually thinking of the more mundane reasons:

- husband in the military or other field of work that takes them far away :(
- husband deceased :(
- father a deadbeat who disappeared when he realized there were consequences to that fun evening :wacko:

To DeeBye:

Son #2 decided to arrive at the cottage, rather than the city. (I had made arrangements with a local doctor for that 'just in case' scenario.) Once an initial confusion over the reason for my middle-of-the-night arrival at the local hospital was cleared up (for some reason, they assume that someone puking into the garbage bin outside the locked door of the hospital must be coming in from the beach for a detox :whistling: ) the doctor showed up, a tad sleepy-eyed. He then startled both my husband and I by announcing "A watched pot never boils" and strolled out to get the caffeine he needed before returning. The line worked for him, but I can see how Mrs. DeeBye might not have been impressed. ;)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Treesh,Mar 11 2005, 06:35 AM Wrote:I've had that happen.  My hand ended up on my face and since I couldn't feel my hand and arm, I tried to move my hand and arm to brush away whatever was on my face.  Ended up slapping myself rather hard.  :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]70317[/snapback][/right]

Just in case anyone in the audience is unclear about this, the above mentioned actions do not qualify as self abuse. Likewise the striking one's self on the forehead in an "I don't believe I did that" moment.

It's still funny, the flopping one's limbs around like an inert seal's flipper . . . until the pins and needles hit! :o

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Mar 11 2005, 07:29 AM Wrote:It's still funny, the flopping one's limbs around like an inert seal's flipper . . . until the pins and needles hit!  :o

Occhi
[right][snapback]70331[/snapback][/right]

Yes, the first bit can be rather entertaining. One could almost classify it as "neat," unless you desperately need to do something like answer the phone or use the bathroom. The pins and needles phase can be quite an experience.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Mar 11 2005, 07:38 PM Wrote:The pins and needles phase can be quite an experience.
[right][snapback]70360[/snapback][/right]

Which brings me to a very unnice experience today when both my arms went "asleep" in a math class and the P&N phase just did not want to go away! It was something like 20 minutes, ohhhh the agony!
"Turn the key deftly in the oiled wards, and seal the hushed casket of my soul" - John Keats, "To Sleep"
TaiDaishar,Mar 11 2005, 12:05 PM Wrote:Which brings me to a very unnice experience today when both my arms went "asleep" in a math class and the P&N phase just did not want to go away! It was something like 20 minutes, ohhhh the agony!
[right][snapback]70363[/snapback][/right]

It's very interesting to walk somewhere with that feeling in a leg. It never actually feels like my foot is hitting the ground or supporting me.
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Hmm yes, an interesting question. What's worse, childbirth or a kidney stone?

I guess only around 1 in a million people could tell us from experience. :P
Less QQ more Pew Pew
New bad feeling:

Today I gave blood and failed: I only gave up half a bag before I became extremely light-headed. Now, the bandage they put over it has sort of melded with the needle wound (the needles are like 3 mms wide I think...). Now whenever I try to lift off the bandage, the wound pulls up with it, almost as if a tick bit me. Needless to say, if I mess with it at all, it hurts quite a bit and I get that light-headed feeling again. Overall, I think the feeling that I am going to pass out REALLY soon is the worst feeling I've had today, even though I get a cool kaleidescopic (sp?) effect around my eyes. And I had a headache too.

The good news is I saved 1.5 people!
What is the judicial system coming to when child molesters get 5 years and cottage cheese gets 30.
whathuh,Mar 11 2005, 10:36 PM Wrote:Now, the bandage they put over it has sort of melded with the needle wound (the needles are like 3 mms wide I think...).  Now whenever I try to lift off the bandage, the wound pulls up with it, almost as if a tick bit me.
[right][snapback]70449[/snapback][/right]

Yank that sucker off in one quick motion you wuss!
Well, either food poisoning, or having an organ burst. My appendix burst a day before I turned 16 (almost two years ago!). Then I recently had food poisoning.

Both were not exactly fun experiences! =)
WWBBD?
Yrrek,Mar 11 2005, 08:39 PM Wrote:Well, either food poisoning, or having an organ burst. My appendix burst a day before I turned 16 (almost two years ago!). Then I recently had food poisoning. 

Both were not exactly fun experiences! =)
[right][snapback]70456[/snapback][/right]
I'm still getting over food poisoning (started Wednesday evening). I think my stomach has gone through more flip-flops, since then, than it did when I was at at the Cedar Point amusement park in Ohio last fall...

As for the night of, I think Mephista put it best when I told her that I had gotten food poisoning...

Mephista Wrote:Food poisoning: Inability to decide which end to put over the toilet.
-TheDragoon
Listeria poisoning.

Can you say "Explosive Diarrhea?"
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
ShadowHM,Mar 11 2005, 09:20 AM Wrote:To DeeBye:

<snip>

The line worked for him, but I can see how Mrs. DeeBye might not have been impressed.&nbsp; ;)
[right][snapback]70323[/snapback][/right]

She didn't mind that I stepped out for a snack. She had to get an epideral at the time and she knows that I can't handle needles, much less a giant needle driven directly into my beloved's spine. I had to vacate the room during the god-awful procedure, so off to the cafeteria I went. I hadn't eaten anything that day due to all of the hubbub and excitement and I was ravenous.

My wife was just mad that I brought the fries and gravy back into the delivery room. The smell made her extremely nauseous. I should have known better because she tried eating a cookie a few hours prior and she immediately barfed it all up :wacko: