your favorite quotes
I probably have more experience than most in dealing with non-American anti-Americans on the Internet. (Maybe not, but I've had plenty of inane discussions with these people.) I find it both amusing and terrifying how every time a single citizen of the US does something incredible (in a negative way) it's "Oh isn't that typical of Americans?!". Whenever someone else does something stupid, say when the Norwegian prince says Portugal's shores are to the Mediterrenean, the same Anti-American says "Ha! That could've happened to Bush!"

In short, everything bad is attributable to America and its lazy, overweight, stupid, self-righteous, sickeningly patriotic scum they call "Americans". I find this funny because it demonstrates the stupidity of the anti-American more so than an American could ever hope to be (if one were so inclined). At the same time it terrifies me, because this sort of behaviour is not limited to 1 or 2 people, but to vast masses of morons, and it fuels the fire of hatred and a kind of racism (the Anti-Americanism) which I find sickening.

Now you already know what an Anti-American would say if he read this, and what he would think I was.

An example of how the Anti-American thinks:

"Haha, those lazy bums. They'll never find Saddham."
"Oh look at those smug f*cks. They cought Saddham, and now they have to be all patriotic about it. God Damn I hate Americans!"

Face it, you're screwed if you do, and you're screwed if you don't to these people. You can't argue with them because an American decision is by default the wrong decision, whatever it might be.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Hi [wcip]Angel,

Seems like you have a rage on somebody.
Americans are not the only one that is treated a bit unfair. Ever caught an anti-german dialogue on any forum or chat in the world? Especially [I almost made the same mistake twice] tend to spring to 'oh, you're just so nazi'-conclusions quickly sometimes. But I think (please do correct me if I'm wrong) that you got something messed up here:

Quote:kind of racism (the Anti-Americanism)

You are aware that 'you Americans' are not a race? You are a folk and a nation, on that I agree. If you cannot see that what you said was completely wrong (and I don't imply you can't), then what you said was kind of weird. Hope this wasn't what you meant. Sounds more racist than what I wrote... ;)

American decisions are NOT by default the wrong decision. But don't you question yourself from time to time the decisions your leaders make? Don't you feel unwell, too, if America demands diplomatic immunity for their soldiers in front of the international war criminal tribunal in Den Haag? Just an example. From an outside point of view, some decisions, as you put it, are not very well explained or justified. Try to understand us... Once.

@ all others: Maybe I should have been more concerned about the composition of my favourite quotes. Should have put at most one quote in, that Americans could potentially interpret as being hostile. Since more readers could be offended, I think I'm going to edit the critical passages out.
Thanks for the input anyway.

Ruminative greetings, Fragbait

Edit: I got to know that [wcip]Angel is not American. I didn't know, sorry 'bout that.
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Guess you didn't get it...[wcip]Angel isn't American. Norwegian I believe, correct me if I am wrong. He also was saying that it is almost racism, he understands that Americans aren't one race or another, Americans are a mixture of EVERY race. I think that is what he was saying with that. Hope that helped.
WWBBD?
[ Wrote:Angel,May 4 2004, 04:34 PM]
Now you already know what an Anti-American would say if he read this, and what he would think I was.
*cough*

(I am not an American citizen. I am a

[Image: viking.jpg] )

Odd dresser? No, a Norwegian.

Although "Americans" are not a singular race, I used the term "racism" as a descriptive term of the type of biased, prejudiced hatred many people have for them, as racist people do for Africans, Asians, and other ethnic minorities.

edit: Yrrek wins the banana!

Congratulations!
[Image: banana1.jpg]
Fragbait,May 4 2004, 12:10 PM Wrote:Hi [wcip]Angel,

Seems like you have a rage on somebody.
You, probably American (?) are not the only one that is treated a bit unfair.
(Norway Touches) Sweden ;)

Edit: Off by a minute!
Oooofta ! Norwegians invented kilts ?!? :blink: ( :P )

Somebody left arrogant off the list ! I demand to be labelled as arrogant and ignorant ! :D

Some more quotes to add to the topic , I cannot remember origins :

"Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die ." :blink:

"Do not start vast projects with half vast ideas ." :lol:

"The wise never marry , and when they do they become otherwise ." :lol:
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
TaMeOlta,May 4 2004, 12:30 PM Wrote:Oooofta ! Norwegians invented kilts ?!?  :blink:  ( :P  )
That would be a tunic ! A kilt is a wool blanket (preferably tartan, but not necessarily) wrapped around your waist sideways and pinned in place. ;)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Example of what I was talking about earlier

http://www.screw-the.us/

I know the guy who made this site from another board.

This guy is serious. You wouldn't think so with that Lord of the rings funny-pic at the top, but he's actually serious.

(If the link is offensive to anyone, please let me know, I will remove it instantaniously.)

You see how he's using worthy causes and manipulating you into thinking he's actually not a bad guy? Quite clever ... for a moron.
Hi

Just to get back to the beginning; I always liked:

"You're just jealous because the voices talk to ME"

I don't remember where I saw that, but i've alwasy wanted it on the back of a t-shirt B)

good karma
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Quote:Americans are not the only one that is treated a bit unfair.

Well, I'm going to answer this with a quote (since this is the quote thread) by me.

Quote:So what are you trying to say? That if stupidity occurs en masse, it suddenly becomes smart [right]?

Quote:You are aware that 'you Americans' are not a race?

Improper wording... Bigotry is the word he was looking for.

Quote:But don't you question yourself from time to time the decisions your leaders make?
Yes. Being 14, I had no say in our current leader. Fortunately, I'll be 18 in time for the 2008 election. Go go one vote! And, here's another quote from somewhere, which got ripped from somewhere else, and is now getting ripped by another person.

Quote:Vote early, vote often, and vote for me.

So, veering back on topic, here's some more quotes:

Quote:They misunderestimated me.
~George Bush
Quote:No one [candidate] is entitled to [receive] a vote.
~Ralph Nader
Quote:And maybe he thinks the world is flat, Elivis is alive, and ketchup is a vegetable.
~Public Service Announcement for conserving water

Oh, and anything in my signature.
"Be ambiguous .... or something else ."
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
The Nietzsche quotes remind me of a funny t-shirt that I saw once. It looked about like this:

"God is dead." - Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." - God

Who do you believe?
Should have known that this "quote" would come out at some point <_< Quite frankly, I don't understand this reaction from Christians. Nietzsche is probably the best test of faith that exists in the literary world... (Dostoevsky?) How better to consolidate one's perspectives on the world than by challenging them and seeing where they end up? Those who have the courage to do so read Nietzsche and come out of it all respecting him (although they will probably pity him at the same time). Those who do not... make t-shirts that say this kind of thing on them. Some of the strongest Christians that I know have read and respect Nietzsche, and in fact, a prof at my school, a devout Christian and a pillar of the local Anglican community, who has in the past taught theology courses did his PhD thesis on Nietzsche. He loves him. Go figure. Nietzsche's value is the emphasis that he places on self-direction and questioning our ideas.

Many Christians would do well to subject themselves to such a test - not because their faith is "wrong", per se, but because they might realize a thing or two about the nature of their blind faith and try to find a more meaningful inner peace in the search, consolidating their beliefs, rather than in some misguided stupour of doctrinaire moral superiority. I think that some Christians could become better people by reading such works (I certainly don't intend this as some sort of broad generalization - but there are certainly those to whom it applies). Of course, they might just have nervous breakdowns.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
I really like this one:

"Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

-- Winston Churchill (replying to Lady Astor's comment 'Sir, you're drunk!')

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Hi,

I wish that all people felt that way, eager to "realize a thing or two about the nature of their blind faith". As one without faith, it is not the faith that offends me, it is the blindness. Whether as a test of faith, an attempt to know the "enemy", or just from intelligent curiosity, everyone should study systems they disagree with. It may not cause many "conversions", but it would at least make the debates more interesting. :)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hi,

Lots of great quotes collected here.

Two of my favorite characters to quote are Gladstone and Disraeli.

There are many from each that I like, but almost all are worth reading. Of course, I especially like when they flame each other, but then, if I didn't, I wouldn't be

--Pete ;)

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Nice links :)

I did like this one:

Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument. The heated mind resents the chill touch and relentless scrutiny of logic.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the link. The quote I think I like best is:

"He was distinguished for ignorance; for he had only one idea, and that was wrong."

Benjamin Disraeli

This must be the most utter setback one can receive, it doesn't take you down a peg or two, but a dozen...
Imagine a chap getting such a response after having said something like
"Maybe cheating in multiplayer ain't that bad after all. It likely might create more fun for the cheater than it creates annoyance for the cheated, don't you think ???"

He might as well never post again. :lol:

Greetings, Fragbait

- Bruce Lee

Pete,May 5 2004, 04:21 PM Wrote:Hi,

Lots of great quotes collected here.

Two of my favorite characters to quote are Gladstone and Disraeli.

There are many from each that I like, but almost all are worth reading.&nbsp; Of course, I especially like when they flame each other, but then, if I didn't, I wouldn't be

--Pete ;)
Ha! Snide!

Once at a social gathering, Gladstone said to Disraeli, "I predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging or of some vile disease". Disraeli replied, "That all depends, sir, upon whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
- Benjamin Disraeli
narrow T-root.

- Bruce Lee