your favorite quotes
STOP SWEARING IN YOUR POSTS!

Sorry for yelling.

-Griselda
Hello Adamantine,

Must say that I had a hard time to distinguish your favourite quotes from your answers, if there were some.
It's kinda hard when some quotes are marked with >, some with ", some with *, some with underscore, some with ' and some aren't marked at all:
Quote:> It seems to me that you are offended by my favourite quotes, and take it personally.

art is sin only to those that are offended by its truth

evil creatures = creatures with no soul = we can slaugther, mutilate, murder - anything them - to all hell without feeling anything. how many people died in the only nukes used on human population? how many died in 9 / 11?

how many animals died so you can eat luxuriously? how many pets do you have / like / met / love?

"A friend of mine conducted a (quite) representative survey on Americans, involving several hundred interviewed people. An amazing amount could not name the capitol of France and Germany, or thought that Switzerland lies were in fact Czechia lies. "

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions
which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.
Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." - albert einstein

ego = the part of you that no-one likes

Well. Some of them were quite good, though. If you did mean to tell me something, just try it again, perhaps with a little more structure? ;)
No offense!

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
adamantine,May 6 2004, 01:30 PM Wrote:STOP SWEARING IN YOUR POSTS!

Sorry for yelling.

-Griselda
Dear Griselda, how many swear words did my post contain?

If i were to die right after i posted that, would you feel guilty for removing something which contained insightfulness, just becuase of one swear word?

Did you read anything i said? did you understand anything i said? beyond one swear word? did you search my post for swear words?
"You're pushing your luck, little man."
- The soup nazi
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Arguing in "public" with a moderator; pure genius. Along with losing any latitude with the population of the forum at all, you've now managed to slap a zero-tolerance stamp on your own forehead. Bravo.

Quote:If i were to die right after i posted that, would you feel guilty for removing something which contained insightfulness, just becuase of one swear word?

*I* would suggest that you're far too given to self-importance and need a strong lesson in the usage of both a spell checker and Shift key. I don't take "insightfulness" from people that neither respect this forum and its voluntary moderators, nor the proper usage of grammar.

*Edit: toned it down JUST a tad*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
> self-importance

Funny that. My ego is dead.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary - how to operate your brain

deletion mirrored here: http://tinyurl.com/yqkrb

I didn't come back because I wanted to stay.

"Intellectual passion dries out sensuality." - Leonardo da Vinci

"Before I was obsessed with NOT getting a single big letter no matter what, and how others did it all the time - but afterwards I was obsessed the opposite way - which isn't healthy either, since it should be about the content, not getting uppy with teeny little details."

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions
which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.
Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." - Albert Einstein

"Imperfection is perfection in the sincerest word of god."

"Randomness is the key to happiness."

I did remember to follow my instructions, although not finished with music. I'm too busy listening to music to think about it.
...but Griselda can. You may wish to stop asking her publicly and use the PM system instead. Having seen Griselda in action before I'm confident that her post deletion was prudent and just but you'll need to hear her reasons rather than going off half-cocked. Well you can still go off half-cocked but I doubt it will help your cause. ;) Give Griselda a PM - she's a reasonable lady and will hear you out. :)
* As far as I'm concerned, I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue. - Einstein

She answered by the way of her actions. I get it. I predicted it was going to happen. It has happened exactly the same way before.

"Actions speak louder than words."

"The less you say/talk/socialize, the less nice you are when saying things, the more importance each word has, the more a swear word means. To those that talk much, think much, swear words do not exist. They are merely words for expression yourself deeper.

A language is never finished, it seems silly to me to complain profosely becuase someone misspelled or missaid a word or 'used it incorrectly'."

- some swedish speech scientist/comedian

"...Certain as I am that when opinions are free, either in matters of government or religion, truth will finally and powerfully prevail." - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, part 2, chapter 3, last line

"I will not stand by the things you say, but I will stand by your right to say them." -- Voltaire

"What's popular isn't right, and what's right isn't popular. Non-exclusive."

"he had the good taste to say something profound as opposed to your profane"

"There's no justice. There's just us." - http://tinyurl.com/yr4h4

* People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel. - ?

* Perhaps I know why it is humans alone who laugh: they alone suffer so deeply that they had to invent laughter. - Friedrich Nietzsche

* Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself. - Chinese Proverb

* The measure of a person's real character is what they would do if they knew they would never be found out. - Thomas B. Macaulay

* The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem. - Theodore Rubin

* To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. - Elbert Hubbard

* A good listener tries to understand thoroughly what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but before he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with. - Kenneth A. Wells

* Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. - Mahatma Gandhi

* Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything. - Muhammad Ali

* Humans are the only creatures that refuse to be what they are. - Albert Camus

* I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

* I never said, I want to be alone. I only said, I want to be left alone. There is all the difference. - Greta Garbo

* We fear what we do not understand.

* I wish that when I gave someone my heart, I could see whether or not they kept it or threw it away. - ?

* If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

universe = mind = art = emerson = nietzsche

* If you make a living, if you earn your own money, you're free - however free one can be on this planet. - Theodore White

* The media is the message.

* In other people's words I always try to find meaning, when I simply need to listen to myself. - ?

* Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought - particularly for people who cannot remember where they left things. - Woody Allen

* It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end. - Ursula K. LeGuin

* Life has a practice of living you, if you don't live it. - Philip Larkin

* Nobody is listening until you make a mistake. - ?

* Love is the constant feeling of completeness when you're with that someone and not wanting that moment to end for anything. - ?

* One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes

* Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity - but I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein

* Not everything is going to be the way you think it ought to be; it seems like every time I try to make it right, it all comes down on me. Please say honestly you won't give up on me... and I shall believe. - Sheryl Crow

* Shoot for the moon! Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars. - Les Brown

* Aim above the target to hit the target.

* Some things have to be believed to be seen. - Ralph Hodgson

* Someone asked me what I saw in you and the only answer was 'everything.' - ?

* Sometimes what you wanted is not what you get, but what you get usually turns out to be so much better than what you wanted. - ?

* Standing still does not mean going nowhere. - ?

* Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it. - Henry David Thoreau

* Love may not make the world go round, but it sure makes a lot of people dizzy. - ?

* Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a tear. - ?

* Imperfections is perfection in the sincerest word of god.

* I never said, I want to be alone. I only said, I want to be left alone. There is all the difference. - Greta Garbo
adamantine,May 6 2004, 12:32 PM Wrote:She answered by the way of her actions. I get it. I predicted it was going to happen. It has happened exactly the same way before.

"Actions speak louder than words."
to accomplish now.

You had two posts edited and, apparently, one deleted.

You say you predicted this would happen. You say it has happened before. So why did you set yourself up for it?

You have included a remarkable number of interesting quotes in your posts. Are they there to make a point? Or are they merely there because they are interesting quotes that fill the request of the originator of the thread? If so, why are they not responses to the original post rather than replies to those who are responding to your complaints about the editing/deletion of your posts?

On the subject of swear words in posts:

(Paraphrasing Pete)

"One bottle of fine wine + one drop of sewage = one bottle of sewage"

So why try to serve us sewage?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

* True praise is intimidating to those it effects.

* Complaining is good for you as long as you're not complaining to the person you're complaining about. - Lynn Johnston

* An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't. - Anatole France

* He who angers you conquers you. - Elizabeth Kenny

You can't decide what you remember. The media is the message.

More Pete quotes would be nice.

You're making me dizzy.

* Randomness is the key to happiness.

* The natural state of the brain is chaos.

* Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. - Albert Einstein

* It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them! - Friedrich Nietzsche

* Intellectual passion dries out sensuality. - Leonardo da Vinci

* Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. - Mahatma Gandhi

* Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

* Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies. - Friedrich Nietzsche

* Art is the proper task of life.- Friedrich Nietzsche

* Everybody wants to be somebody; nobody wants to grow. - Johann von Goethe

* When everyone thinks alike, no one thinks very much. - Walter Lippman

* The natural state of the brain is chaos.

So why did you set yourself up for it?

* Rebel without a cause.

* Stop making sense. Just kiss me.

* The purpose of life is a life of purpose. - Robert Byrne

* It's not the blood you spill but the blood you share.

* You can't change the music of your soul. - Katherine Hepburn

* Music is the sound of angels.

* The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing. - John Powell

* One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes

* Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

* Truth is beautiful, without a doubt; but so are lies. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

* All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure. - Mark Twain

* In the consciousness of the truth he has perceived, man now sees everywhere only the awfulness or the absurdity of existence and loathing seizes him. - Friedrich Nietzsche

* All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses. - Friedrich Nietzsche

* Experience is not what happens to you, it's what you do with what happens to you. - Aldous Huxley

* Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

* Art is a communication with god and the artist. The less the artist does - the better.

* Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead. - ?

* A heart is not a play thing, it is not a toy, but if you want it broken, just give it to a boy. - ?

* A lie told often enough becomes the truth. - Lenin
Quote:She answered by the way of her actions.

I also sent you a private message this morning. You seem to want everything out in public, since you did not reply to my private message, so I will answer you here.

It has been a long standing policy of the Lurker Lounge that swear words are not acceptable in posts. That's why we have the swear filter in place. But, we recognize that the swear filter can't catch everything, nor would we want it to (I suppose someone might want to talk about Dick Cheney, for example). So, the moderators have to step in to maintain this policy.

It has also been a long standing policy of the LL that we do not change people's posts. Either it all has to go, or we leave it all up. This was at the request of the forumgoers, from back when we used to edit partial posts. That way, everyone can always be certain they are reading the original poster's words, without omission.

So, if there's a swear word in the post, we can't leave it up. We have to remove the whole post via editing. I don't delete posts because that can do bad things to the thread tree. Also, the reminders are probably helpful for new people so that they can gauge what's acceptable here.

If you swear in your posts here, the post will be removed, whether it's one "bad" word or 1,000. Please don't test me to find out where I draw the line as far as what words are acceptable.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go do some work that will hopefully be more rewarding than this.

-Griselda
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

another Churchill one (first line isn't churchill):
"Winston!, if I was your wife, I'd poison your tea"
"Madam, if I was your husband, I would drink it"

The UK parliament is fantastic place to observe flame wars. Bliar, and the leader of the opposition, keep trying to get one up on each other, accomapnied by much jeering from their own people. Sheer hilarity.

-Bob
Jesus - "I can see my house from here!"
(kidding)

Oscar Wilde - "I can resist everything but temptation."
Bob,May 6 2004, 04:17 PM Wrote:The UK parliament is fantastic place to observe flame wars. Bliar, and the leader of the opposition, keep trying to get one up on each other, accomapnied by much jeering from their own people. Sheer hilarity.

-Bob
Bliar ? :lol:

Was that intentional? Similar to calling President Bush "Shrub" ?

Or was that one of those nasty pytos?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

oh, that was intentional.
We have a comedy news quiz in the UK called 'Have I got News For You'. and as the 'decoration' behind the contestants, they have newspaper cuttings, which change every series. That was in a prominent place last series, and were I got it from.

-Bob
"The less you say/talk/socialize, the less nice you are when saying things, the more importance each word has, the more a swear word means. To those that talk much, think much, swear words do not exist. They are merely words for expression yourself deeper."
Quote:A man only swears because he doesn't have the words to say what he means.
~Malcom X

"Some things have to be believed to be seen."
Quote:I want to believe.
~Agent Mulder: The X Files

"We fear what we do not understand."
Quote:Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to the dark side of the force.
~Yoda, Star Wars, Episode 5(?)

"I wish that when I gave someone my heart, I could see whether or not they kept it or threw it away."
Quote:I have the heart of a small boy. It's sitting in a jar on my desk.
~Steven King

"If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me."
Quote:If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.
~Sun Tzu: The Art of War
Profanity + Argumentative Posts AFTER Mod editting + Spamming = Ban.

... and you can bloody QUOTE me on that.
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Quote: She answered by the way of her actions. I get it. I predicted it was going to happen. It has happened exactly the same way before.

Did you also predict how stupid you would look now?

Keep throwing quotes around. Your wannabe rebel attitude impresses no one, and neither did the quotes that you took 5 minutes to copy and paste off from a google search. Hell, at least get your own witty sayings.

Oh yea...
A witty saying proves nothing -Voltaire
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Nicodemus Phaulkon,May 6 2004, 08:31 PM Wrote:Profanity +  Argumentative Posts AFTER Mod editting + Spamming = Ban.

... and you can bloody QUOTE me on that.
In some forums, mod-sassery will earn you an instaban.

Just sayin'.
What? Is this some kind of new power bar or something? ;)
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)