your favorite quotes
I actually take screenshots/photos of ones. Amazing what you can get by capturing things on tv with text-tv (english word too?)

Check notes, scribbles of things you like. Found one on the back of my mom's artworks from 30+ years ago: "I'm never getting married" - Cliff Richard

Check lyrics of your favorite album.

<b>10 quotes of your favorite</b>

* of anything, try not having 2 from the same person/subject.

* own - it's real easy, just check back on things you've said. To check uniqueness - google on the saying. Search on forums you've been at on your name.

* person - can be musician, your best friend, anyone.

* subject - love, water, teddybears, cats, anything. (Okay if you really like music, have it here as well.)

* music lyrics - not the whole thing, crop it down to a sentence or so.
At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid.

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

God is dead.

Out of life's school of war: What does not destroy me, makes me stronger.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he doesn't become a monster.

There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.

Morality is the herd-instinct in the individual.

For others do I wait...for higher ones, stronger ones, more triumphant ones, merrier ones, for such as are built squarely in body and soul: laughing lions must come.

How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy.

The better the state is established, the fainter is humanity.

In heaven all the interesting people are missing.

-Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
"Sometimes you hit paydirt, sometimes you just hit dirt" -My dad

This has probably been said by other people, but my dad didn't get it from anywhere
I may be dead, but I'm not old (source: see lavcat)

The gloves come off, I'm playing hardball. It's fourth and 15 and you're looking at a full-court press. (Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun)

Some people in forums do the next best thing to listening to themselves talk, writing and reading what they write (source, my brother)
Pink Floyd's "Time"
Ed McMahon(spelling?) "Yes!"
WWBBD?
They're already in my sig.

Oh, and this one:
"I can't swallow that!"
"Good -- it's a suppository."

Let's face it - cartoons are the best remaining television, anyways.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
edited- please don't try to work around the swear filter. We have it there for a reason.

Thanks.

-Griselda
Edited- Please do NOT try to get around our swear filter. We have it there for a reason.

Thanks.

-Griselda
Hi there,

my favourites are:

'An manchen Tagen verliert man. An den übrigen gewinnen die Anderen...' (told by a friend of mine)

translation:

'There are days, on which you lose. The rest of the days, the others win...'

2a.[edited out - too controversial]

2b.[edited out - too controversial]

'The Iraqi regime . . . possesses and produces chemical and biological weapons. It is seeking nuclear weapons.'
- George W. Bush, Cincinnati, Ohio Speech 10/7/2002

[edit: decided to leave this one in because it's a good laugh...]

'Hey! You that one that kill all! You get me magic banner, or we attack! You no leave with life! You kill big uglies, and get back magic! Go past corner, and door, find uglies! You give, you go!'
- Snotspill, dlvl5, Diablo I

the quotes found in my sig.

Greetings, Fragbait

edit: typo.
edit2: several controversial things. Just read the thread.
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
I've got the feds so far up my ass, I can taste bryl-creem.
- Corrado "Junior" Soprano (The Sopranos)

Life is but a walking shadow,
a poor player that struts and frets
his hour upon the stage
and then is heard no more.
It is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
signifying nothing

- Macbeth (Macbeth)

I am Death incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God sent me.
- Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by
legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being
stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the
sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried
out automatically and without pity.

- Robert Heinlein (Lazarus Long)

All my life, I watched the brutality, the stupidity of mankind through the scope of my rifle
- Sniper Wolf (Metal Gear Solid)

I also like Occhidiangela's quote concerning the "jokeonomy" that someone has incorporated into their signature :)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
"If life expectancy suddenly became equal to IQ , I suspect most of the government would drop dead ." -- Pete

:lol:

If you read all his posts carefully you can find something worth quoting .... ;)
Stormrage :
SugarSmacks / 90 Shammy -Elemental
TaMeKaboom/ 90 Hunter - BM
TaMeOsis / 90 Paladin - Prot
TaMeAgeddon/ 85 Warlock - Demon
TaMeDazzles / 85 Mage- Frost
FrostDFlakes / 90 Rogue
TaMeOlta / 85 Druid-resto
"God made idiots for the rest of us to flame. So STFU, you idiot." - Pete
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Fragbait,May 4 2004, 05:31 AM Wrote:2a.
'Um... Italy?'
(answer of an American in the VIVA show 'travel sick', when the task of the englishman was to prove that Americans are dumb, and he asked the person if he knew the capital of France)

2b.
'Err... France?'
(same show, next person. The question was 'do you know the capital of Italy?'. Surely they only broadcasted the funny responses, but nevertheless astounding)

Seems lately that the latest fad is to bash Americans and I find it very telling how you feel on the subject by your selection of these three quotes as your "favorites". The unfortunate fact is that "people" are stupid regardless of nationality - something you can witness daily just by reading on the internet. I wonder what kind of response I would troll up if I quoted the same kind of thing said by Argentinians or by British nationals.

Fragbait,May 4 2004, 05:31 AM Wrote:3.
'The Iraqi regime . . . possesses and produces chemical and biological weapons. It is seeking nuclear weapons.'
- George W. Bush, Cincinnati, Ohio Speech 10/7/2002
It would also appear to me based on this third quote that you need another turn at reading the rules you quote in your signature - specifically the part about "Red Button Issues".
"A common mistake when people try to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Hi tal125,

It seems to me that you are offended by my favourite quotes, and take it personally.
That was not intended, in fact these are simply the quotes that make me grin the most.
In writing
Quote: Surely they only broadcasted the funny responses, but nevertheless astounding
I think I acceptably took into consideration that these shows are 'meant' to be funny and maybe establishing prejudices.
Nevertheless, such remarks are astounding, and while you can wonder
Quote:what kind of response I would troll up if I quoted the same kind of thing said by Argentinians or by British nationals.
In my point of view if either of these people would answer in the same ignorant way, this would shine a strange light on these countries as well. I don't doubt that there are stupid people in every country, but that's not the point. It 's the ignorant attitude some people show. A friend of mine conducted a (quite) representative survey on Americans, involving several hundred interviewed people. An amazing amount could not name the capitol of France and Germany, or thought that Switzerland lies were in fact Czechia lies. Just to name a few examples.
If you had taken a closer look at my favourite quotes, you would surely have noticed that one came from a friend, one (split in a. and b.) came from a TV show, one from George W. Bush, one from Diablo I and one is just a link to my sig. It's not that I'm bashing anything, is it?
It's rather you who seeks the quarrel. Sad, but this does not really help the matter, nor convince me into anything. If that's what you intended, sorry.
If you really want call me a troll because I DARED to quote the president of the U.S., then just go ahead.
That does not really bother me, perhaps it annoys a tiny bit.
Whereas if you like to post some real quotes about Argentinians or Britains, just feel free to do so.
I'd not consider it trolling, but bashing on somebody's head because he quoted something one doesn't find quite as amusing as this somebody does rather resembles trolling, don't you think so?
I thought of you as a quality man. I mean, your posts showed some whit and reason behind them, so you're not at you're best right now. I know you can do better.
I hope this helped to clear that I didn't mean to offend anyone. It just made me smile.
If you still feel offended, let's clear this up via pm.
Thanks.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
I stand by my initial statements. There was no need to state the nationality of the respondent in the game shows if you were not trying to make the clumsy assertion that America holds the market-share in ignorance and stupidity. Your disclaimer: "Surely they only broadcasted the funny responses, but nevertheless astounding" only shows that you fail to realize that when it comes to test general knowledge on a TV show with the purpose of showing how "dumb Americans are" means that those candidates that "fit the bill" are the ones that make the show. In other words those with a good grounding in general education need not apply.

As far as me wanting a quarrel with you then you are right. You stated some things that I found offensive and that had no bearing on the subject at hand. I stated that I found it offensive. Why should I have to turn the other cheek on this subject? You offended ME - not the other way around. If you had left out the nationalities involved and just bashed on stupidity as others in this thread have I wouldn't have felt the need to reply. None of the respondents to this thread have felt the need to bring nationalities into the thread but you. But it was you sir that brought Americans into the discussion and I believe that your third quote fits well into the whole "theme" you're trying to build in your post. I am a reasonable man and remain one. But I see no reason for you to post what you have and still don't.

Edited for Spelling - thanks Pete.
premature post :(

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hi,

if you were not trying to make the clumsy assertation that America holds the marketshare in ignorance and stupidity.

Go look up relative educational results in industrial countries. There's a good indication that indeed we do.

Oh, and if the widely held attitude that Americans are lazy and ignorant bothers you, you can do your part to combat it. Get and use a spell checker.

--Pete

(No Text)
Thanks Pete for the kick in the pants to properly spell check my posts. I have gotten out of habit of late and needed to start up again. I've also researched how America measures up against the rest of the world and have to admit that the results are disheartening. But I'm not willing to say that we hold the market-share yet. ;)

I do still stand behind my assertion that such quotes shouldn't have been posted for the reasons I've posted above.

Thanks again. :)
Hi,

Thanks Pete for the kick in the pants to properly spell check my posts.

NP. Bend over and I'll help you some more :)

I do still stand behind my assertion that such quotes shouldn't have been posted for the reasons I've posted above.

While I completely see your point, there are a couple of other things to consider. First, while I know that freedom of speech doesn't apply to a privately owned forum, I am still a firm believer in it. As long as whatever is said does not break the forum rules, I have no problem with it being said -- I might and often do disagree and when I do I argue against the ideas expressed to the best of my ability. But I do not argue against the right to express then (again, with the forum rules in mind).

Second, I think that knowing what others think of us is an important part in knowing ourselves. If how others see us reflects how we see ourselves, then a bit of complacency is permissible. But if others see us differently, especially much differently, than we see ourselves, then there is a problem. And interpersonal (or inter-cultural) problems are seldom one sided. So, it is good to know these things, good to examine them and learn from them. It might help to get people on our side. And if not, then it is still important to know our enemy.

Magellan's crew circumnavigated the world in about two years. Yuri Gagarin did it in ninety minutes. A few hundred years ago, what the rest of the world though of the USA didn't really matter much, they were far. Now we're all neighbors, and unhappy neighbors can make life hell.

--Pete